Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be in love on this day and to have that person love me back. I never cared much about Valentine's Day until that glorious one three years ago.

Brent and I had been dating about two weeks. We were both still playing our cards close to the chest, if you know what I mean. That day Brent had tried to plan a special date for us. It was just one disaster after another and was a horribly memorable evening. But in the end it was one of the best nights ever as I read his Valentine to me. In it he translated this Italian poem:

La Vita Nuova

In that book which is my memory
On the first page -
That is the chapter when I first met you -
Appear the words
"Here begins a new life"

- Dante Alighieri


I bet all you girlies reading this are thinking "Ohhhhhhhhhh! How sweet!"

I guess you could say at that point I finally knew how he felt about me and suddenly felt rather embarrassed by the very unromantic and unsentimental book I gave him.

That moment was topped by the next when I leaned over to give him a thank you kiss, and he knocked over the flute of bubbly on the table, dumping it on my dress and shattering the glass all over the place. I screamed and jumped up, and he with chagrin said something like: "Well, at least this disastrous evening will make a good story for our grandchildren." He was just laying it all on the line, wasn't he! Thank heavens he was so open; it was such a refreshing change from all the other guys I'd dated who "just [were]n't that into [me]". (For all you single gals, check out the book "He's just not that into you" from the library. Changed my dating life.)

Well, three years later, I woke up to a pretty pink package on the dining table. Guess what it was?



Yep. He gave me the marauder's map and a set of 5 ornaments: the Hogwarts crest, and the coat of arms for each house. What a sweetie. Anyone who is interested can come over to my house and play with the map. Oh, how I wish it were real!

4 comments:

Emily said...

That present rocks! Kevin and I are so bad at picking out gifts for each other. We actually agreed not to mess with gifts except for Christmas and our birthdays. Is that lame to not do anniversary/Valentine's Day gifts?

Menner said...

No, not lame. Sometimes Brent & I don't; it varies every year.

becca said...

The poem... oh my... that makes me giddy. And the marauder's map on top of that. Good job, Maren!

Anonymous said...

awwww *sniff* I love love. *sigh*