Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Who Needs Sleep, Anyhow?

About two weeks ago I walked into Jenny's room in the morning to find her covered in dry, crusty vomit.

About five days later, the same thing happened. I thought it was odd that she didn't wake up crying when she puked, and how gross to lie there asleep in a pile of sick all night.

Three days later it happened again.

A few days later, at about 3:00 a.m., I hear her crying. It is not like her to cry in the middle of the night, so I went to investigate. Puke. Gross. Fresh puke. Double gross.

I didn't want to wake Brent so I proceeded to take Jenny to the bathroom. I stripped her, plopped her in the tub, stripped the bed, wiped down the sides of the crib, and scrubbed the carpet. (All of this was accompanied by much heaving and vomiting myself, since the whole pregnancy thing makes me very sensitive to unpleasant smells.)

At that point, Loki came upstairs meowing loudly, as he often does. My puking, my talking to Jenny, the running bath water, Jenny screaming as I washed her hair: none of this woke Brent up. Loki meowing, however, did the trick.

He stumbled out of the bedroom to see what was going on. I made him rinse out the bedclothes and start the washer because I just couldn't stand to face the smell again.

Couple days later. Repeat 3:00 a.m. experience. Except this time I woke Brent up immediately and made him do the bedroom cleanup while I did the baby cleanup.

Next day. Repeat 3:00 a.m. experience.

11 hours later. Jenny is crying after only laying down for an hour. Odd. Normally she naps longer than that. I go in to check on her, expecting vomit.

Nope. No vomit. Fecal matter. She had taken off her pants and her diaper, was sitting up in bed with feces smeared all over her body, shirt, socks, bedding, etc. I laughed out loud and almost went to get the camera, but she was crying too much for me to enjoy the event at her expense.

You know, sometimes being a mom is awfully fun.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Wow! Sounds like you've had some.."fun" experiences lately. Good luck. Hopefully Jenny gets feeling better!

Laura Ayers said...

I think they know when you're pregnant & they turn it up a notch just to test you! If it makes you feel any better, I had several friends whose kids would take off their diapers consistently & smear the poop everywhere & once I read that it means that kid is creative! It's like built in paint to some kids!