Thursday, January 31, 2008

Free at Last

A few days ago I got a call from a member of the Relief Society presidency in my ward. She wanted to come visit me with the rest of the presidency. Of course I began to wonder why. Are they just visiting all the sisters in the ward and it's my turn? Are they going to ever so kindly remind me that I need to do my calling (as chorister) more consistently? I immediately began to feel guilty for every time I was sick and didn't call to get a substitute beforehand. The real reason for their visit never occurred to me.

They came to release me. Yea! I didn't consider that possibility because I was told I was going to be released in November 2006. It didn't happen. Then I was told I was going to be released before the baby was born in April 2007. It didn't happen.

I realize that chorister is not the most challenging calling in the world. It is Sundays only and takes no preparation. However, it is difficult with a baby. There are lots of nice women willing to hold Jenny while I pass out hymn books and lead each of the three hymns. The problem is that the baby doesn't really want anyone to hold her but me. Nor does she want to play on the floor while mommy is standing up leading. So I balance the baby on my hip as I lead. I hold the baby and a stack of hymn books at the same time. She gets fussy in the middle of a song, and I can't do anything about it because I'm the one leading the music. You get the picture.

For weeks I have been trying to talk myself into asking for a release, but I would lose my nerve every time I saw a bishopric member. I just don't feel good about asking to be released when we're taught to serve wherever we are called. So now, 14 months late, I finally get the release. I am so relieved!

Now I get to have just one calling instead of two. I will continue to be the ward choir director, a calling I will likely have for many years hence. And I'm okay with that.

No comments: